Article 1. The Republic of Artsakh
1. The Republic of Artsakh is a sovereign, democratic, social State governed by the rule of law.
2. The names 'Republic of Artsakh' and 'Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh' are identical.
Article 2. Sovereignity of the People
1. In the Republic of Artsakh the power belongs to the people.
2. The people shall exercise their power through free elections, referenda, as well as through state and local self-government bodies and officials provided for by the Constitution and laws.
3. Usurpation of power constitutes a crime.
Article 3. The Human Being, His/Her Dignity, Fundamental Human Rights and Freedoms
The human being is an altimate value in the Republic of Artsakh. The inalienable dignity of a human being shall be the integral basis of his/her rights and freedoms.
2. The respect for and protection of the fundamental human and civil rights and freedoms shall be the duty of the public power. The public power shall be limited by the fundamental human and civil rights and freedoms as a directly applicable right.
3. The state shall ensure the protection of fundamental human and civil rights in conformity with the common principles and norms of the international law.
Article 4. The Principle of Separation and Balance of Powers
State power shall be exercised in conformity with the Constitution and laws, based on the separation and balance of the legislative, executive and judicial powers.
Article 5. The Hierarchy of Legal Norms
1. The Constitution shall have supreme legal force.
2. Laws must comply with the Constitution, whereas secondary normative legal acts must comply with laws.
3. In case of contradiction between the norms of international treaties ratified by the Republic of Artsakh and those of laws, the norms of the international treaty shall apply.
Article 6. The Principle of Lawfulness
1. State and local self-government bodies and officials are competent to perform only such actions for which they are authorized by the Constitution or laws.
2. Bodies provided for by the Constitution and laws may, based on the Constitution and laws and with the purpose of ensuring the implementation thereof, be authorized by law to adopt secondary normative legal acts. Authorizing norms must comply with the principle of legal certainty.
3. The laws and secondary normative legal acts shall come into force following the official publication in the manner prescribed by law.
Article 7. Principles of the Right of Suffrage
Elections of the President of the Republic, the National Assembly and community councils, as well as referenda shall be held on the basis of the right to universal, equal, free and direct suffrage, by secret ballot.
Article 8. Ideological Pluralism and Multi-Party System
1. Ideological pluralism and multi-party system shall be guaranteed in the Republic of Artsakh.
2. Political parties shall be formed and shall operate freely. Equal legal opportunities for the activities of political parties shall be guaranteed by law.
3. Political parties shall promote the formulation and expression of the political will of the people.
4. The structure and activities of the political parties may not contradict the democratic principles.
Article 9. Ensuring Local Self-Governance
Local self-government shall be ensured in the Republic of Artsakh as one of the essential fundamentals of democracy.
Article 10. Guaranteeing Ownership
1. All forms of ownership shall be recognized and equally protected in the Republic of Artsakh.
2. The state shall have exclusive ownership of natural resources and water.
Article 11. Economic Order
The basis of economic order in the Republic of Artsakh shall be the social market economy, which shall be based on private ownership, freedom of economic activities, free economic competition, and through the state policy, be aimed at general economic well-being and social justice.
Article 12. Preservation of the Environment and Sustainable Development
The State shall promote the preservation, improvement and restoration of the environment, the rational utilization of natural resources guided by the principle of sustainable development and taking into account the responsibility towards future generations.
Article 13. Foreign Policy
Foreign policy of the Republic of Artsakh shall be implemented on the basis of international law with the aim of establishing good-neighborly and mutually-beneficial relations with all states.
Article 14. Armed Forces and Defence
1. The armed forces of the Republic of Artsakh shall ensure the defence, security, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of the Republic of Artsakh.
2. The armed forces of the Republic of Artsakh shall maintain neutrality in political matters and shall be under civilian control.
3. Every citizen shall be obliged to participate, as prescribed by law, in the defence of the Republic of Artsakh.
Article 15. Promotion of Culture, Education and Science, Protection of the Armenian Language and Cultural Heritage
1. The State shall promote the development of culture, education and science.
2. The Armenian language and cultural heritage shall be under the care and protection of the State.
Article 16. Protection of the Family
Family, as a natural and basic unit of the society, the basis for the preservation and reproduction of the population; as well as motherhood and childhood shall be under special protection and care of the State.
Article 17. The State and Religious Organizations
1. The freedom of activities of religious organizations shall be reconized in the Republic of Artsakh.
2. Religious organizations shall be separate from the State.
Article 18. Armenian Apostolic Holy Church
The Republic of Artsakh shall recognize the exclusive mission of the Armenian Apostolic Holy Church, as a national church, in the spiritual life of the Armenian people, in the development of their national culture, and preservation of their national identity.
Article 19. Ties with the Republic of Armenia and Armenian Diaspora
1. The Republic of Artsakh shall implement a policy aimed at political, economic and military cooperation and ensuring comprohensive ties and security with the Republic of Armenia.
2. The Republic of Artsakh shall implement a policy aimed at developing comprehensive ties with the Armenian Diaspora and preserving Armenianness, and shall promote the repatriation.
Article 20. State Language of the Republic of Artsakh
1. The state language of the Republic of Artsakh is the Armenian.
2. The freedom to use the languages of national minorities shall be guaranteed in the Republic of Artsakh.
Article 21. Symbols of the Republic of Artsakh
1. The flag of the Republic of Artsakh shall be tricolor - with equal horizontal stripes of red, blue, and orange and a white five-toothed stepped pattern on the flag which begins from the two verges of the cloth’s right side and is connected on the one-third of the Flag. The detailed description of the Flag shall be defined by law.
2. The coat of arms and national anthem of the Republic of Artsakh shall be defined by law.
Article 22. The Capital of the Republic of Artsakh
The capital of the Republic of Artsakh is Stepanakert.